Translate

20121119

Race Review for Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC


I ran Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte NC as my 11th State.  We rose out of bed dark and early, brew some coffee, and chewed down few bites of bread before I head out for a short walk/jog around the starting line.  The weather was somewhat cooler than ideal race temperature at 35 degree; a little windy, but wasn’t anything major at the time.  I jogged for about half of mile, and then head back to hotel room to get ready for battle.

At 07:20, Lin and I walk slowly down to the startling line, check in our post-race bags, and jog to the line behind a big-ole-NASCAR; 07:45 arrived, the race car was roar and everyone charged forward. 

Before I head to Charlotte, I expected a marathon pack with rolling hills, and I focused in hills training and racing in hills.  That turned out to be a good training, but I didn’t expect wind would pick up thirty minutes into the race.  I told to myself, ‘that’s okay, it didn’t forecast to be windy; it will die down…’ I follow a few fast half marathoners, duck behind them as a wind blocker, and stroll forward; right then was around mile 11 and I felt the call of nature was upon me, but I ignored it and more forward.

By 12.2 miles, a race official stood in the middle of Berkeley Avenue and yelled: ‘half marathoners stay on the right and the full run straight.’ Wind didn’t die down, but pick it up its’ speed to 18mph. 



Shortly after I made the right turn onto Dilworth Road, someone called out places for runners and I placed 47th overall before the halfway mark. 

Then I hit 13.1 at 1h’33m’17s’ (clock time) and I knew right-the-way – there’s no way I can run a negative split for more than three minutes for new personal best given the condition, unless wind changed the direction, and push me from the back.  However, I maintained my composure, tried to run the best form despite the strong head wind, and hoping for the best. 

As I continued, by mile 17, I just couldn’t hold it anymore; I lost about 22-second to answer that call under a bridge.  What a relief!  I felt recharge and open legs wider to move forward.  I clocked 2h’23m’51s’ at mile 20 and passed numerous runners toward the end; I finished the race with a time 3h’7m’35s’ (gun time), 3h’7m’33s’ (chip time), placed 31st overall, 29th in males, and 5th in 30–34 division.  My Garmin time and split are here.

Not that I making an excuse, I felt I was so ready and confident before the marathon; but the windy condition was the major reason I couldn't finished the battle the way I wanted and changed the outcome of this race.  I spoke number of runners and say about the same reasons. 
 
Now what?  Rest is the No. one thing to do.  Then I’ll jog/run the annual MCRRC Turkey Burnoff Ten Mile on 11/24.  Then I’ll decide which state to become the 12th to complete in spring 2013. 

Here is the race review by the Charlotte Observer.


Lin finished her third half marathon in fashion; smashed her personal best by 12 minutes and 47 seconds.  She finished it in 2h'19m'25s'!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment