Translate

20130103

2013 New Years’ Day Miler and 5K Review


I rose from bed on the New Years’ Day at 06:30, take peek outside of window, and see gray and foggy sky. I dashed outside and felt the cold wind and rain hit my face. ‘Oh s#$t!’ I told to myself, ‘whatever, I am going run it anyway!’

I gather things together, have some coffee and light breakfast, and then rolled down Lin’s family driveway with Lin to Surgoinsville TN for the 8th Annual New Year’s Wake-Up Run 5K and Mile.  It took me 45 minutes to drive from Johnson City to TN Technology Center and rain and wind were dropping continuously.

I got to the race site – an industry park in middle of mountainous area off IH-26. The miler race was start first at 08:30. I got in my warm up and jog a few steps around the parking lot as warm up, then get myself into GRC uniform and then I got myself to the starting line. There are not many runners up for this challenge, only handful of high schooner toe the line.  Rain turned into drizzle, but wind didn’t slow down any.

The GO was called and I was out with three other runners. The mile race course was one lap around the lower half industry park; within the first left turn, I passed two of them, and work my way closer to the teen in the front. At second turn, he was one second ahead of me. As soon as we made the third turn, he switch into the sixth gear and charge forward; we were about 0.4 mile to the finish. I didn’t give up, slowly work my way toward him. Just 100 meter to the end, this boy found another gear push himself forward to the end. I lost the race only by three seconds in that awful condition.

After the miler, I hurried drive myself to the 5K starting area. With some more light jogging, I found myself toe with some local top runners. The 5K course basically loop around the mile race course twice with some additional around the parking area. I finished that race with an 8th overall and beat the miler winner.

The race itself was okay. I can’t complain too much, since the condition was not perfect and the course is lay on 2500 feet above sea level; which it doesn’t sounds very high, but it still make it difficult for me to race the pace that I wanted. GRC is pretty famous in the Tri-Cities area, since USATF Cross Country Club Nationals just happen weeks ago not far from there. I strolled around the course for additional three miles with some new friends, and then called it the day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment