Translate

20150820

Since June 8, 2015

In the previous blog, I told y’all that I was running strong and recover well from yearlong injury.  I honestly felt very well after that weekend.  I uptick my mileage the following week and logged about 46 miles – highest for the year.  I was clearly tire on June 14, but I decided to go run Greenway Trail with the MCRRC Sunday trail group.  Then the nightmare began within two miles into the run, I hopped off a log, and my left foot land on a patch of green leaves – looked safe at the time.  But when my foot touch down, we heard a popping sound from my ankle, and I scream “#$%&”.  It felt a little tight up, I rubbed it for about a minute and it start to fade off.  I thought it wasn’t anything major and continued onto the trail with everyone else for about 10 miles.  I felt fine after the run and rest of the day.  After dinner, I felt something puffing on my ankle while I was talking on the phone that evening.  I looked down and saw my foot was swollen like a golf ball, “$hit!” 

I texted Dr. Firestone and he suggested me to stop by his office first thing in the morning.  Next day, I went and learn that I was pulled a ligament and put on bench again – six weeks.  There I was, on the bench, again, just like before.  Because of it, I only logged 85 miles for June.

Six weeks without running wasn’t too bad, considering the fact that was out for seven months.  I bike commute almost every day of the week and did a lot of foot exercises to strength the foot. 

... ... ... ...

Five weeks went by and I felt I can run again, but I told myself to listen and be patient. 

Sunday of July 26 was the beginning of seventh week, I laced up and jog out my front door.  I jogged for 32m’34s’ for about 4.5 miles and felt very heavy.  The next day, I ran 31m’42s’ during lunch hour in thunder storm.  Tuesday was off from running, but bike commute.  Wednesday and Thursday were double down on bike commute and 5-nish miles run during lunch.  For July, I put down just 21 miles. 

I felt strong and jog lightly on the first day of August.  August 2, weather was super nice, temperature was at low 60, and I drove out to Germantown MD for Riley Rumble Half Marathon.  I wasn’t plan to race, I planned to run it was a long run, do it as 5k at a time, and target to finish around 1h’45m’. 
Like I said, weather was great and I ran out too hot at 6m’15 pace at the first mile.  I dialed down and clock second mile at 13m'49.09s’.  I really felt great and clocked 14m'10.9s’ at mile four.  I started to debate myself whether or not to run the whole thing and disregard the original plan. 

I decided to run it all, but kept that idea in mind in case my body tells me to stop; so I pressed forward and wonder how long I can last with that pace.  At mile six, I clocked 13m’42.49, 14m’24.66 for mile 8, 14m’30.36 for mile 10, 14m’27.93 for mile 12, and 7m’46.16 for mile 13.1; I finished the race with a time of 1h’32m’52s’ on one of the hilliest half marathons in the region.  That time was a total surprise for me.

Legs were sore the next day and I ran easy the following few days, while I was in a conference without much time spare for running.  On Friday of August 7, it was Going Green Track Meet.  Again, I wasn’t tried to race hard.  I just want to get a reasonable good workout in.  At the end, I ran 11m’59.2 (6m’ + 5m’59.2) the 2-mile and 5’45.2 for miler.  Both times are way off my personal best, but given the amount I been training for, I really can’t complain.  I took Saturday off and ran 10 miles on Sunday.

Week of August 10, I took a week easy and only logged 28 miles with four runs; nothing really special to report.  Week of August 17 is the last week before my long trip; I took Monday off after weekend long runs.  Tuesday morning, I got up early and dressed lightly, I jogged down my street around 06:00 and toward my office – I was run-commute.  I done that run when I first transplant here several years ago, I didn’t know where I was going, and did that run around two hours.  This time is different; I know the area well and ran the whole thing within 1h’37m’45, it is 13.125 miles door-to-door.  That was awesome.


I didn’t feel as bad as I thought I would be on Wednesday morning; but I had something to deal in the morning, so I skip the morning run and joined the Wednesday Track in Rich Montgomery HS.  The last time, I did a reasonable workout was too long ago to remember.  The workout plan was run 16 x 300m with 100m recover; I plan to run it around 6m’ pace.  I think executed it pretty well: 1m'05.80s', 1m'04.43s', 1m'03.44s', 1m'04.38s', 1m'05.05s', 1m'03.55s', 1m'02.72s', 1m'03.82s', 1m'00.65s', 1m'02.58s', 1m'01.10s', 0m'59.81s', 1m'01.31s', 1m'00.93s', 1m'00.05s', 0m'58.05s'; that was average about 62s’ per 300m or about 5m’32 per mile.

I have one more race before my trip, East County 8K on August 22.  After that, I will be on vacation and I am not sure I will log any miles, but I will certainly try.  Please come back and visit my blog, I will post my messages by email. 

y’all have a good summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment